After life, comes death. When something stops living, it dies.
- Everyone experiences death.
- Many people are afraid of death.
- Is there such a thing as life after death?
- Yolanda is coming to grips with her mother's death. (coming to grips with = coping; dealing with reality)
- It's very difficult for a parent to deal with the death of a child.
- People grieve over the death of a loved one. (grieve = feel tremendous sadness)
- My sister's death was very unexpected.
- Not knowing where her three-year-old son was, scared Sophia to death. (This is a popular expression. "Scared to death" means that a person was very scared.)
- She was scared to death.
- Death is a popular subject for movies, books, and poetry.
- Death is a part of life.
- Nothing can escape death.
The adjective used to talk about death is "dead."
The word "death" ends in an unvoiced "th" sound. To listen to and practice this sound, click here.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
This page was published on April 4, 2017.