A person who dozes, enters into a light sleep. This word is often followed by the preposition "off."
- Jim caught himself dozing off during the meeting.
- The meeting was so boring he began to doze off.
- A trucker dozed off at the wheel and went off the road.
- Don't doze off. Pay attention!
- I wasn't really sleeping. I was just dozing.
- A dozing student could be heard snoring in the library.
- The security guard was caught dozing at his desk.
- Dozing off on the job will get you fired.
- To prevent himself from going to sleep, Jerry took a couple of No-doze tablets, which kept him awake through the night. (No-doze is an over-the-counter tablet that is taken in order to reduce the chance of going to sleep.)
- Dozing beneath large umbrellas planted in the sand were several tourists enjoying their final few days of Florida warmth and sunshine.
She's just dozing off in the chair.
Click here to learn more vocabulary.
Date of publication: January 4, 2017