April 25, 2017
We're collecting photos of new students for the month of May. If you want to be included, please email your photo to firstname.lastname@example.org
April 24, 2017
There's a new lesson for the Yellow Level. It matches the video below and includes an exercise.
April 23, 2017
April 21, 2017
Today's word of the day is "ouch."
April 20, 2017
There's a new quiz for the prepositions "to," "for," and "from." You can print the PDF here.
April 19, 2017
The word of the day is "number."
April 18, 2017
There's a new prepositions quiz for the prepositions "in," "on," and "at." This is a PDF which you may print. the answers are in today's email.
April 17, 2017
I just joined Patreon in order to finance my next project. You can find me there as Teacher Paul and help support my work. Thanks!
April 16, 2017
April 15, 2017
Here are the answers to the exercise I sent out yesterday:
1. had been; 2. had prepared; 3. hadn't told; 4. had done; 5. had had; 6. Had...saved; 7. hadn't worked;
8. had given; 9. hadn't gotten; 10. had hidden
April 14, 2017
Here an exercise from an email I sent out this morning to my students:
Directions: Complete each sentence or question with the past perfect tense. The verb provided in parentheses is in the simple form. Some verbs are negative.
1. She _______ _________ a good student until she lost interest in school. (be)
2. If we ________ ________ , we would have done better on the test. (prepare)
3. It was obvious to everyone that the man _________ __________ the truth. (tell -- negative)
4. Did the valet say what he ________ _________ with the keys? (do)
5. The teacher said that she ________ _________ enough and started to yell at the students. (have)
6. _________ he _________ more money, he would have been able to buy a house. (save)
7. The new employees __________ __________ so hard in all their lives. (work -- negative)
8. If you ________ _________ me the right directions, I wouldn't have gotten lost. (give)
9. My kids _________ _________ out of bed by the time I left the house. (get -- negative)
10. Where did she say she ________ __________ the money? (hide)
April 13, 2017
Here's a new video, by request, for the present perfect tense:
April 12, 2017
I'm trying to change the login for the chat room, but it might take awhile for people to get used to the change. If you want your own nickname, protected and available only to you, send me your nickname request and I will send you a password. This might help improve the quality of conversation that's been happening there lately.
April 10, 2017
The word of the day is "hotel."
Here's a new quiz for Words that begin with the letter P.
April 9, 2017
The word of the day is "grave."
April 8, 2017
This new video includes 55 words that begin with the letter "p."
April 6, 2017
Here's your vocabulary quiz for this month. It's a combination of words from last month and this month.
April 5, 2017
The word of the day is "excuse."
April 4, 2017
The word of the day is "death."
If you are one of my students, I sent you an email early this morning. The subject was the passive voice. I hope you learned something from the lesson and the exercise.
Emailed lessons, exercises, and quizzes are only available to people who sign up for them. If you want these things, just sign up.
April 3, 2017
Your lesson of the day is on the present tense, passive voice:
The word of the day is "click."
April 2, 2017
This month most of my students will focus on learning about the passive voice in the Green Level.
In the second lesson in the Green Level is something almost every student should understand, whether that student is a beginner or advanced.
When you come into the world--thanks to your mother's hard work--you are born. The verb "bear" is the simple form for the past participle, "born." We almost always use "be" + "born" to talk about our arrival here on planet Earth:
Where were you born?
I was born in Germany.
My friend, Roseanna, was born in Mexico.
Most of my students were born outside of the United States.
To learn how to talk about birth experiences, click here.
The word of the day is "build."
April 1, 2017
Most of my students will learn about the passive voice this month in the Green Level.
Are you one of my students? If not, sign up here.
Each course level on this website has a checklist. Print out and keep the checklist next to your computer, tablet, or phone and use it to track your progress as you move through the lessons:
Click here to go back to March 2017
Click here to go to the LAEO Blog Archive.
o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o